Mailbox management is a hot topic in the training world.
With the amount of email we send and receive being at an all time high, showing users how to manage their mail is as important as showing them what buttons to press in Outlook / Lotus Notes / Apple Mail or any other corporate (or non-corporate) email client.
One of the most popular training sessions that I’ve been delivering recently has been a 1-hour “master your mailbox”.
Here’s a few tips to help users manage their mailboxes:
- Don’t treat your Inbox as a To-Do list
- Don’t treat your Inbox and Sent Items as an archive
- Turn off your email notifications to avoid distractions
- Create Rules/Filters to reduce what ends up in your Inbox
- Process your mail by applying “The 4 D’s” – Delete, Do, Delegate, Defer